Home occupations are listed as accessory uses in residential zoning districts. They are governed by section 21.45.150 of the municipal code.
A home occupation is intended to have little or no impact on the neighborhood. To accomplish this goal, there are restrictions on:
- the size of the enterprise (25% or 500 square feet of the dwelling, or 200 square feet of an accessory building)
- the number of nonresident employees (1)
- signs (one wall sign no greater than 1 square foot in area, nonilluminated)
- traffic and delivery vehicles (no more "than would normally be expected in a residential neighborhood")
- equipment (nothing that would produce noise, vibration, glare, fumes, odors, power fluctuations or radio frequency interference)
- hours of operation (prohibited between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.)
If you use the online version of the code try searching on "21.45.150" for more information. Please note that recent amendments may not have been published yet. The Land Use Review Division can clarify the current code language for you.