Off-Leash Dog Areas
Six popular park areas have been designated for off-leash dog activity in Anchorage. The designated areas are within the following locations:
Arctic Benson Dog Park Rules
* Arctic Benson Park, Connors Bog, Russian Jack Springs Park, and the South Anchorage Sports Park have designated off-leash areas
** University Lake Park and Far North Bicentennial Park have designated off-leash trails only
Off-Leash Dog Areas - Rules and Regulations
- Dogs must be legally licensed and have a current rabies vaccination.
- Dogs must be leashed upon entering and leaving the off-leash dog areas.
- Classified dogs and female dogs in heat are prohibited.
- The owner or custodian of the dog must remain in the dog area with the dog.
- Dogs must be under control as defined in Title 17.
- Dog feces must be cleaned up by the dog owner or custodian.
- Holes dug by dogs must be filled by the dog owner or custodian.
- Owners or custodians are responsible for all actions of their dogs.
- Be respectful of the wildlife living in the park and the lakes. The lakes with posted signs prohibiting dogs swimming in them is there to protect them as well as you and your pet.
Off-Leash Dog Areas - Additional Rules and Regulations for Specific Areas
- Off-leash activity shall be restricted to the designated area once ski-joring trails are groomed.
- Specific trails within this park may be closed to off-leash use on a seasonal basis. Such trails will be clearly posted.
- Be respectful of the wildlife we share the park with.
- Swimming by dogs and/or their people is prohibited as the lake has nesting birds and a very active beaver community. Beaver can be extremely aggressive during mating season and/ or protecting their pups.
Areas designated for off-leash dog use are shared by many park users including skiers, walkers, runners, bikers, and others. Because these areas are truly multi-use, it is important to exhibit courteous behavior or “good petiquette”. There are some simple things that can be done to make off-leash areas enjoyable for all users including:
- Keep you dog in sight and under control at all times.
- Always carry a leash.
- Bring poop scoop bags from home to clean up after your pet. Please help by picking up extra. Even responsible dog owners get distracted.
- Control excessive barking.
- Off-leash areas are shared for a variety of activities so please be respectful of other users. Keep your dog controlled and from interfering with other people and their dogs (especially leashed ones).
- Be respectful of the wildlife living in the park, lakes and surrounding areas.
- Properly dispose of all garbage in cans or take it home with you.
- Remember, you are fully responsible for your dog and his actions.